The history of Nuremberg's rock-cut cellars

Southern Germany's biggest rock-cut cellar maze

Through many centuries, the citizens of Nuremberg have built vaults and corridors into the bright red sandstone below their city. In 1380, the widespread cellar system was mentioned in a document for the first time. In all those years, the cellars were primarily used for the ripening and storage of beer – mostly the city's famous red beer.

Today, the craft brewery Hausbrauerei Altstadthof again uses a small part of the widespread maze-like cellar system to ripen and store specialty beers and beer schnaps.

Of course, visiting the craft brewery and the whisky distillery will be part of the tours. Afterwards, there will be time to taste the local specialties in the brewery tavern. Just come around, it is worth a visit!

TICKETS    German guided Tour with Audioguide

  TICKETS   English guides Tour 



Tour about the formation and usage of Nuremberg's rock-cut cellars during the last 700 years.

  • Sunday English guided tour at 11:10 a.m;  Price   12 € , reduced admisson  10 €
  • Time duration: about 60 - 70 min.€
  • Free admission for children under the age of 7 when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
  • 50 % discount owners of the “Nürnberg-Card“
  • Individual tours as required for 150,- € in English or another foreign language 
  • Audioguides: English, Chinese, Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, Portuguese




Here you will find the historic rock-cut

The historical rock-cut cellars are centrally located in Nuremberg and therefore easy to reach by public transport. Just drive to tram stop Tiergärtnertor and from there, is just a 250 meter walk to the official entrance.